Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Day 6: The lost weekend in Vienna

Sorry that I haven't posted in a while! I've been busy trying to get my shit together for a visa I'm attempting to obtain. A nightmare by the way... So last weekend I decided to travel a little bit and visit my friend Ben in Vienna. Vienna, unlike Berlin is not specifically known for its nightlife, more its modern art, and old timey german appeal.

An example of Modern Art in Vienna

 But I managed to find the nightlife! On day 1 of arrival I accompanied Ben to an 18th birthday party. If there is one thing I can say about Europeans and 18th birthday parties is they treat them accordingly. I was lucky enough to come in time for the stripper show (haha) pretty unusual given it was a chicks party...also there was a slideshow running showing pictures of her when she was younger, the whole scene was just weird.
Classy strippers showing us how to get down

Even though the DJ was spinning top 40 tracks, he made it a good time, making some cool mashups and mixes along the way. Ben's friends were very friendly offering me their drinks (which were all free) and trying to get me to get up on stage and dance with them. Eventually I stood up and danced away for a while. After a few too many drinks we headed off to the Will Sparks concert. There was a pit stop in order to help a drunk friend get home, but that was short and easy. Besides the throwing up... So we arrived at the club in which Will Sparks was playing. It was in a discreet part of town, almost berliny. The building looked somewhat like a warehouse, and after seeing it I had high expectations! But those expectations were unfortunately not met. The room was filled with 16 and 17 year olds dancing strangely to repetitive beats, if you dont know will sparks look up his music. 
The crowd at Will Sparks

Though he is innovative, his shit is definitely repetitive. It was clear that Ben as well had not been expecting this. We kind of looked like fish out of water being so old. It was clear that the nightlife scene in Vienna was based more towards a younger crowd. That's an aspect I really love about Berlin, it seems like everyone is interested in the music at clubs. You can find 60 year old men amongst 20 and 30 year olds and it is completely normal, no one bats an eye. It's truly about the love of the music. Eventually we said shit this isn't happening and left the club. Luckily I got a really cool hot dog in a bun down the street. 

Interesting invention of hot dog in a bread bun, one side is closed to keep ketchup and other condiments from dripping.

If I told you about the rest of my week into wednesday I'd probably bore you. My friend ben showed me around Vienna and introduced me to some of his friends along the way. I got to cruise in a cabrio, play soccer, eat real schnitzel and see the famed stepanstone or however you pronounce it. Though there wasn't much clubbing, record shop hunting or djing, I got to see another scene which is always important as an artist. All in all I had a really great time, and I'd definitely go back again (yes the strippers were that impressive). So I hope to continue traveling and seeing the sights. Tommorow I think I will visit OYE records (recommended by a djtt user!) and begin planning a party to meet my visa requirements. If anyone knows anyone who works in the nightlife industry or could help me plan a party that lives in Berlin I'd totally appreciate the help. Email me at plusminusrecords123@gmail.com. Also if you know anyone of have personally gotten a freelance visa I could totally use the info!

No comments:

Post a Comment